Virginia Department of Corrections
*** Learn how to save money on making and receiving inmate phone calls ***
Division Operating Procedure 855 permits inmates to place only collect or prepaid telephone calls on the Inmate Telephone System.
- Inmates are only permitted to call persons on their pre-approved call list. This list is limited to fifteen (15) numbers, including attorney numbers.
- Any telephone number placed on an inmate’s call list must be physically located at the subscriber’s address as shown on the billing statement.
- Calls placed by the inmate must be directly to, and terminate at, the number on the call list.
Telephone Service Provider
The Virginia Department of Corrections operates a secure offender phone system under contract with Global Tel*Link.
- The system allows inmates to place outgoing collect calls to family and friends that have agreed to accept such calls.
- Each call is limited to 20-minutes in order to allow equitable use of the phone system by all inmates. For security purposes all calls are recorded and may be monitored.
A pre-pay service plan is offered which allows pre-pay and then receive calls from an inmate at a lower rate per minute in comparison to the collect payment per minute rates. For information or to establish a pre-pay service plan please call Global Tel*Link toll-free at 1-877-372-4330.
As of February 1, 2010, offenders may make phone calls to cell phones. Families and friends must set up the authorized phone number with Global Tel*Link (GTL) at 1-877-372-4330. The following stipulations apply:
- Phone calls to cell phones will be charged the same rate as pre-paid calls.
- Offender call lists will remain limited to 15 numbers.
- This service does not apply to pre-paid cell phones.
- The cell phone number must match the residential address of the family member or friend.
Utilization of the offender phone system is a privilege and responsibility of the inmate population. As with any privilege, inmate phone use may be revoked. The following are examples of services that are not permitted on the offender phone system:
- Incoming calls
- International calls
- 700, 800, 888, 900, and similar calls
- Calls charged to credit cards, third parties, or any billing other than collect or pre-paid to the called party
- Calls transferred to a third party
- Call forwarding, call forwarding services, answering services
- Calls to pager numbers
- Calls to pay telephones
||Debit or PrePaid
Don't miss our guide to making Inmate Phone Calls
Learn more about Inmate Telephone Service, the Inmate Telephone System, Inmate Telephone Service Providers or Contact Us
Virtual Number Services
Search The Web:
Alabama (AL) | Alaska (AK) | American Samoa (AS) | Arizona (AZ) | Arkansas (AR) | California (CA) | Colorado (CO) | Connecticut (CT) | Delaware (DE) | District of Columbia (DC) | Florida (FL) | Georgia (GA) | Hawaii (HI) | Idaho (ID) | Illinois (IL) | Indiana (IN) | Iowa (IA) | Kansas (KS) | Kentucky (KY) | Louisiana (LA) | Maine (ME) | Marshall Islands (MH) | Maryland (MD) | Massachusetts (MA) | Michigan (MI) | Minnesota (MN) | Mississippi (MS) | Missouri (MO) | Montana (MT) | Nebraska (NE) | Nevada (NV) | New Hampshire (NH) | New Jersey (NJ) | New Mexico (NM) | New York (NY) | North Carolina (NC) | North Dakota (ND) | Ohio (OH) | Oklahoma (OK) | Oregon (OR) | Pennsylvania (PA) | Puerto Rico (PR) | Rhode Island (RI) | South Carolina (SC) | South Dakota (SD) | Tennessee (TN) | Texas (TX) | Utah (UT) | Vermont (VT) | Virginia (VA) | Virgin Islands (VI) | Washington (WA) | West Virginia (WV) | Wisconsin (WI) | Wyoming (WY)