Each Unit Administrator shall provide "collect call only" telephones which allow for outgoing calls in areas specified by the Unit Administrator for inmate use. Inmate use of "collect call only" telephones shall be deemed a privilege and not an entitlement. Use of any telephone may be prohibited by the Unit Administrator in accordance Code of Penal Discipline or to meet any valid penological interest. If the call is to an attorney, such prohibition shall be based upon a determination relating to the maintenance of security, safety or orderly operation of the facility. The availability or use of any telephones may be restricted or terminated at the discretion of the Commissioner or designee. Inmates shall not have access to use any facility telephone, other than a "collect call only" telephone, except as authorized in this Directive.
Credit card calls, billing to a third party, call forwarding, transfers or any other method which circumvents collect call billing shall be prohibited.
"Collect call only" telephones shall operate on a Personal Identification Number (PIN) system. Each inmate shall be required to enter their authorized Personal Identification Number to place a call. An inmate requesting to use a "collect call only" telephone shall submit a list of no more than ten (10) phone numbers. The facility shall review the submitted phone numbers and delete any restricted phone number(s) from the list (e.g., known phone number of victim of the inmate's crime). The list of authorized numbers shall be entered into the phone system and shall constitute the inmate's allowed call list. Each inmate shall be allowed to change the list of phone numbers once every 30 days. The Commissioner shall issue a list establishing the authorized number of phone calls allowed. Each phone call from a “collect call only” telephone shall be limited to 15 minutes. The calls may only be made between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. There shall be no time limit between allowable calls. Any unauthorized or fraudulent use of the phone system shall subject an inmate to loss of phone privileges.
Restrictive Status Inmate.
- An inmate on punitive segregation status, administrative detention status or transfer detention status shall not be allowed to use a "collect call only" telephone except for cause as approved by the Unit Administrator.
- An inmate on administrative segregation status shall be allowed one (1) phone call up to 15 minutes per week, plus telephone calls to attorneys, as approved by a supervisor.
- An inmate on protective custody shall be allowed telephone calls on a comparable basis to inmates in general population, but limited to those periods when protective custody inmates are allowed out of their cells.
- Emergency Calls. Any inmate upon approval by the Shift Commander/Unit Manager may be allowed to place an emergency call. Such calls shall be at state expense if the inmate is indigent in accordance with Administrative Directive 6.10, Inmate Property, and shall be listened to and documented in the facility log book.
“AdvancePay” is now available on telephone calls placed from all Connecticut Correctional Facilities through Global Tel*Link. Family and friends who choose to use this pre-pay option, will receive a 25% savings on traditional collect call rates for this service. The service area includes all of the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and international calls to over 150 countries and territories as well.
The “AdvancePay” account may be started with as little as $5.00, and continue to deposit funds in increments of $5.00, with no maximum. Account balances may be checked at the beginning of each call. When the account is closed, funds are returned upon request. Accounts that are inactive for 90 days are automatically closed.
If insufficient funds are in the account to place the call, billing will revert to the traditional collect call rate. If more than 1 minute of call time remains in the
AdvancePay account, the call will be placed at the discounted rate, however, the call will be disconnected when funds are depleted.
To start an “AdvancePay” account, you can prepay by depositing money into your account in three ways:
- For deposits by a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard & Discover), Contact Global Tel*Link at the following toll-free number: 1-877-372-4330.
- For deposits by check or money order, make payable to: Global Tel*Link, and mail to:
Global Tel*Link, Dept. 2012, Denver, CO 80291-2012.
- For payment by Western Union, visit: www.westernunion.com, click on the “Find Agent Location” at the top of the screen and follow the instructions, or call: 1-800-325-6000 and press 2.
Western Union charges a transaction fee for using their services, which is dependent on the country the payment originates from.
Don't miss our guide to making Inmate Phone Calls
Learn more about Inmate Telephone Service, the Inmate Telephone System, and Inmate Telephone Service Providers